Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:34:59 GMT
I inspected two hives yesterday that were moved to golden rod 2 weeks ago.  I inserted queen excluders since the queens had just moved up into the supers to lay.  The nest and super frames are filling up with honey nicely.  Lots of brood in tight patterns including drone brood in some areas.  No drone larvae.  Numerous drones on the frames.  The queens are big, fat and laying nice patterns.  Bees look very good and only rally against an occasional yellow jacket or bumble bee.

Roughly half of the golden rod has started to bloom.  The flow should continue through September.  Looking forward to a nice golden rod honey harvest. :)

Waldemar
Long Island, NY