From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:17:43 -0800
Randy Oliver wrote:

> High concentrations of neonics can occur when there is
> flooding of a field, resulting in accumulation in puddles, when
> planting equipment is washed out, or when a crop is replanted
> a second time in a season (essentially doubling the rate of
> application of the pesticide).

In the case of corn seed treated with Poncho (clothiandin) the
treatment rate is 1.25 mg ai/kernel:
http://www.bayercropscience.ca/products/seed-treatments/poncho/labels/
Based on a maximum planting rate of 35,000 seeds (kernels)/acre,
the application rate would be 0.1 lb ai/acre = roughly 1.6 ounces
(about 3 tablespoons) clothiandin per acre and the treated seeds
would be buried.

So given the tiny amount of  clothiandin that would be
applied per acre (assuming my math is correct) and the fact that
the seeds would be buried it is hard for me to imagine how
flooding of a field could result in puddles contaminated with
biologically harmful amounts of clothiandin.

Bayer claims: "Clothianidin is completely degraded in soil under
all conceivable conditions."
http://www.bayercropscience.com/bcsweb/cropprotection.nsf/id/EN_Safety_of_clothianidin_to_bees

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.