Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2019 09:28:17 -0500
> One might think that an idea that has been around for 70 years would have either borne fruit or died.

> Comparing the purely analog frequency-spectrum analysis of the Wood Apidictor to the kind of thing Jerry is working on

If you read the statement, it was about the idea, the concept of electronic hive monitoring. Wood's idea was that sounds could be converted to visual signals via an oscilloscope and those images could be used to interpret internal hive conditions. His device was the implementation of that idea. Others have carried it further.

Wood's device was like a basic telephone. Today's telephones are vastly more sophisticated and can do many things of dubious usefulness. But we still call them telephones: they do transmit sound from one person to another. Since the signal now is digital instead of analog, in some ways they more closely resemble the telegraph.

Anyway, one person's analogy is another's disjunction. The intention was not to disparage anyone but to seek out information, as I was working on an article on beekeeping inventions. Nobody came forth with any info and the piece was finished without your valued input.

Peter L Borst