From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1993 08:41:46 PDT
Hi Rita,
RE:  Moving hives

I believe that in most instances, beehives should be moved at least a
couple miles to prevent the field bees from losing their way.  However,
one of my friends moved a hive aboud 10 feet straight back without any
problem.  I think moving the hive sideways would cause great confusion
amongst the field force.

Mr. Aebi in California has some interesting stories about moving bees in
his book "Mastering the Art of Beekeeping" (or perhaps they are in his
first book - can't remember the title of that one.)

Have a good one!

Dave Pehling, WSU Cooperative Extension