From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:19:41 -0500
a couple of Pete B snips followed by >  my comments...
The honeybee is being developed as a simple invertebrate model for alcohol-related studies. To date, several effects of ethanol consumption have been demonstrated in honeybees … Our findings significantly improve our understanding of the suitability of honeybees as models for alcoholism-related research and underline the first and foremost function of all conditioned reactions – their adaptive value.

>this is more about attacking grant money from people like the National Health Institute.  If you are going for the big buck then you need to vocalize a human health concern in the grant proposal.  most to the folks who write grants (my wife included) thinks this is more about what the grant reviewers are looking for than anything that anyone might call concrete or reasonable.

The study of animal behavior is called Ethology. People involved in the work are aware of its potential implications.

> As I have suggested before my wife studied (summer abroad for two summers) as an undergraduate with one of the founders of field now known as ethology.  By her description ethology is a subset of the larger category of animal behavior.  Ethology (ethos meaning home) is the study of animals in their natural setting.  Animal Behavior may be quite unnatural in it's set up (think Skinner box) and is largely Americanized while Ethology is European in origin.  She studied under a fellow by the name of Konrad Lorentz (spelling likely wrong but my spelling almost always is anyway). Konrad was a medic in the German army in WWII and worked as a medic in a pow camp... after the fact and after he had gotten some recognition for his work he took lots of grief over his participation in the Nazi army < sometimes life only presents you with a set of poor choice over which you have little or no control.

I think as a field of study Animal Behavior predates Ethology by quite a few years. According to my wife many of the early folks who took up Ethology where psychology majors first and then ethologist.

Gene in Central Texas.. still taking off honey in the heat.