From:
David Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 00:26:53 -0500
Has anyone investigated moisture in natural hives?  Our man-made hives are
typically made with a flat inside ceiling (inner cover) that often warps,
bowing down.  This causes condensation to stay in place and then rain down on
the bees across the entire hive.

A natural hive, as a general rule, probably has a curved ceiling.  I am
speculating that moisture that is not absorbed probably runs down the sides
since there is a strong gradient involved.  If it pools at the bottom, no
problem.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has researched this question or has
some personal experience with gum hives or collecting feral hives from trees
in the far northern latitudes.  Certainly the Russians have experience with
managed hives in trees in very cold climes.  What is ther view?  Have the
Swedes or Norwegians kept hives in trees like the Russians have?

David Morris
Laurel, Md, USA