From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:33:34 -0600
Bill Truesdell wrote:

Hi Bill!  I have reduced your message a bit to ask a couple of
questions.  The theory involves some points totally new to me.

> Forgive me if I violate any etiquette. This is my first try at sending
> something to the list.
>
> I and some others think that some of the mite control we get from
> menthol and even the "oils" used by some comes from the heat generated
> by the bees to fan out the vapor from the hive. If you look at most of
> the methods to control mites, especially tracheal, they all involve
> irritating gasses introduced into the hive.

 First, how do we know bees "fan" to reduce the "irritant" oils, as
opposed to fanning to eliminate moisture (evaporating nector), or heat
on a 95 F. June day?

> When the bees fan, they increase their body temperature. I believe
> they can go as high as 120-122F which should be high enough to kill    > any mites in their trachea.

I am under the impression that the brood box temperature is not allowed
to go higher than about 92.5 F, and it would appear to me that if a
really significant number of bees were fanning the central brood box
temperature would be much higher than this..Do you know whether this
measurement has been taken and proven under these circumstances?  Is
there data somewhere that shows what temperature it takes to kill mites?
Some data suggests that mites are well controlled by vegetable oil in
the brood box (presumably because bred and fertile female mites  are out
and looking for a new home, a *young* bee perhaps 4-7 days old that will
provide comfort for a long residence----and not finding the oil coat on
a bee matching that of a bee that age, she is forced to take an old host
that flys off, dies too early and carries the young mite to a premature
death.  Or, perhaps the bred mite never selects a new host and dies
looking?

>  It works with us. Our bodies create a fever to kill viral and
>  bacterial infections.  The same increased temperature should also
>  work to kill trachel mites.  Would appreciate your comments.

The analogy of human defense mechanisms to Apis may be a bit much, so
suffice say that in the case of human temp elevations (very rarely over
5.5 F.) to the suggested 30 F. elevation as the bee defends leaves some
doubt in my mind as to exactly how this would work.  Remember also, the
human temp elevation may impair the ability of the bacteria to
reproduce,  other Mechanisms (White blood cell activities, antibodies,
and antibiotics are presumably more important. (I am a retired
physician).   I hope you can fill us in on some of your other thoughts
about this, or share with us your data source.  The theory is
interesting, but needs some substantiating data.  Thanks!  Bob Barnett