From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:23:03 -0400
I've been staying out of the comb honey discussions, mainly because it's
deja vu all over again.  The subject is covered extensively in the archives,
I wrote a lot of it myself.  Having said that, there are some new threads
that have been mentioned this time around that heretofore (to my
recollection) have not been mentioned.

Allen mentioned comb production starting from a package or nuc.  I've often
thought the technique would work, leaving the bees no choice other that to
utilize the space in a single deep for brooding and forcing them to expand
into a section super for honey storage.  Of course there's the issue of what
to do with the single deep after section season is over.  I assume unite it
with another colony.  Allen?  I don't recall the package/nuc method beind
endorsed in Taylor's book and Killion only touts the "Killion method".  The
closest to the package/nuc method I've read and practiced is the shook
swarming method which Taylor writes about, but is not an original idea.  I
used to think it was his method until I read the writings of beekeepers who
preceeded him.  Shook swarming is an old method most recently written about
by Taylor.

I have to disagree with Lloyd's comments about queen excluders being a
common mistake.  I always use queen excluders on my comb production hives.
I started with Killion's book.  Killion insists on queen excluders as well
as slatted racks.  Lloyd dismisses both.  The year I omitted queen excluders
I had to cull many sections due to drone brood that was raised in the
sections (as Lloyd described), and this problem was with many hives.  I
never repeated the experiment, one year's setback was sufficient to convince
this beekeeper to stick with the queen excluders, following Killion's
advice.  And I always use slatted racks.  You can't argue with success.

A few words about the Killion method.  It's a LOT of work.  It required
multiple shake downs of a hive, requeening a hive, and there are ample
opportunities for things to go awry (lots in the archives).  But his method
produces BY FAR the best sections I've ever produced.  Furthermore,
following his techniques forces a beekeeper to get up close and personal,
down and dirty, INTIMATE with their bees.  The year I first practiced the
Killion method was the year I ceased being a beehaver and became a
beekeeper.

And speaking of George, I have to disagree with his statement that
Carniolans are not good for comb production.  I'll agree with Lloyd on this
one.  I produce beautiful sections (EAS Blue Ribbon winners!) using New
World Carniolnas, crowded down into single deeps without swarming.

Lloyd wrote, "Allen suggested starting to super when signs of comb building
are evident.
I think this is a technique best left to those, like Allen, who are truly
expert."  I agree.  I know of other beekeepers who will ONLY produce comb
honey in this manner, over double deep and supered colonies.  Considering
other methods too much work, they simply wait and judge hives that are
obviously (to them) producing to such a degree that the bees will
unquestioningly accept a section super and fill it with no problems.  But it
takes an expert evaluation to know when the conditions are right.

Alan mentioned perhaps bees will shun section supers if the foundation is
stale.  I wonder how old is stale.  Advised by Lloyd, I started this year to
prepare my section supers for reuse when I harvest the current crop.  It
cuts down on labor to only handle the supers once.  But this means that my
"ready for the bees" section supers, foundation exposed, will be stored
until next spring.  If I don't use them all next year some might possibly be
stored for over 20 months.  Might I be concerned about the foundation
getting stale in that time frame?  Is there anything I can do to lessen that
concern?

In summary (as I summarized in the archives), buy the book!  Taylor's book
(_The_New_Comb_Honey_)is good, Killion's book (_Honey_in_the_Comb_) is
superb!  It includes a section on queen rearing which is of use to EVERY
beekeeper even if you have no intention of ever production section comb.
Note that the Killion method does not require that you raise your own queen
(although he highly recommends rigorous record keeping and a breeding
program for optimal results).  However, new queens (a common thread to all
comb section production methods) can be purchased from reliable queen
breeders.

Follow Killion's method for a season.  You will do a lot of work, you may
make make mistakes, if you don't you'll produce beautiful sections, and most
importantly, you will make a quantum leap in your beekeeping skills.  This
is one topic where I feel BEE-L advice is lacking.  You will pick up sound
bites here, tips and advice.  You will be TAUGHT reading Killion's book.  I
think it's in the $15 ballpark.  The return on your investment will be well
worth it.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!