From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:53:55 -0600
Thanks for picking this up, Andy.

> You can feed you bees pure whole blood and run the nitrogen tests off
> the scale, but you will end up with nothing.

Are you referring to nitrogen analysis in the bees or in the feed? I'm
thinking that one would just assay a bee sample in the fall, say, to
decide if a supplement is required.

<snip>
> Here in central California an average field hive will consume 1# to 2#
> of protein extenders a week and rear normal brood, but if they run out
> all is set back to day one,

What exactly happens here?  Is it that there is no protein for the
emerging bees to eat, or just that brood rearing ceases?  Is serious harm
done if they run out of supplement?  I notice mosts references say
something like what you said here, but I need it spelled out for me :)

> so as they consume the protein in ever grater amounts it is necessary to
> tend them more often with more protein and of course they will also need
> syrup.

Hmmm.  I guess I'd better get out there tomorrow.

When can I quit giving them patties?  Do I just put them on til the bees
refuse to eat them (seems wasteful)?  Or will they eat it from time to
time right thru the spring if I leave it on?

Allen