From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 07:18:35 -0600
> My next problem is regarding damage to queen cells. I have been
> producing a few batches of queens this year and aside from the
> problems of using mini nucs I have also had problems with damaged
> queen cells. This damage is down to me and I am getting better at
> removing and transporting the cells. My question is has anyone
> attempted repairs to a cracked or split cell. I was thinking of
> melting some wax and using a fine brush to reseal the damaged area
> and then try it out in the incubator. Does this work and if so how
> quickly must the damaged area be repaired to increase the chances of
> success.

Hmmm.  I wonder how you crack a queen cell.  Drop it from a building?

Seriously, I used to like to twist cells apart to examine the
inhabitant.  We use the JayZee BeeZee plastic cups (doesn't
everyone?) and the cells made using them can be opened by grasping
the cup in one hand and the cell in the other and twisting.

The queen can then be examined, weighed, or whatever.

After that, I just pressed the thing back together and used it as if
nothing had happened.  (put the queen in head downwards if you take
her out). Results were just fine.

Of course youshould do it at a time when the developing queen is
not too vulnerable, say after she starts to get colur.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>