From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1993 13:15:19 PDT
                                                20 July 1993 / 1300

        The question of nest sites interests me.  On our Santa Cruz Island
project, we have installed 130 swarm hives (courtesy of Justin Schmidt) and
also routinely check cavities in which colonies formerly lived.

        Swarms fairly regularly move into swarm hives, but it appears that
a cavity formerly used by a colony has an edge over swarm hives.  That is
puzzling, because some of these cavities hardly look suitable.  Furthermore,
Once a colony has died, honey is robbed out be wasps and other bees, wax
moths move in and destroy the comb, and often the cavity is nearly filled
with wax moth coccoons.  In short, the place is a mess, and one can sometimes
smell such a cavity from some distance downwind.

        I suspect that the odor leads scout bees to check out the cavity.
Perhaps the "varnishing" of the interior walls (with propolis) is an
important factor in cavity choice.

 Adrian M. Wenner                        Prof. of Natural History, Emeritus
 Dept. of Biol. Sciences                          [log in to unmask]
 Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara                 Phone:   (805) 893-2838
 Santa Barbara, CA  93106                       FAX:     (805) 893-8062