From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 08:04:52 -0500
Hello All,
Alan wrote.
> So, here is the question - why don't we use drone foundation in our>
> supers in order to give the bees a slightly easier task in drawing out>
> the larger (more efficient cells) ?>
In the U.S. many beekeepers interchange supers with brood chambers.  Now
that we are using chemiclas the practice is mainly drawing the future brood
chambers as honey supers and then later using as brood chambers.  In other
words Langstroth deeps with drone comb would not be a very marketable item.
In the *old Days* most comb honey and section honey was made with a larger
cell foundation.

> Are there other subtle disadvantages such as, larger cells making it>
> more difficult to dry the honey, or drone cells encouraging laying>
> workers far away from the brood nest in pheromone- weak areas?>

I can only give my opinion on this.  In my opinion larger cells would not
make the honey any harder to dry.  Probably no difference or slightly easier
with the larger cell.  In my opinion the drone cells WOULD NOT encourage
laying workers.  I have used honey supers stacked *midwest* high with a
amount of drone comb clear at the top and have never seen laying worker
cells.  Those always appear in a queenless hive in the brood chamber and in
worker cells as a general rule.  Others may have made different observations
but those are mine.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri