From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:04:57 -0600
>I think you have an excellent idea...if there was some way to do
collaborative research.

A few comments based on experience - yes, this is an excellent idea and can
be done.

We did it with about 120 beekeepers in Seattle/Tacoma/Whidbey Island in the
early 80's and got the findings published in SCIENCE - one of the most
respected and widely read of the science journals, with followups in the
bee journals - ABJ, etc.

As far as bees and weather, our electronic hives in MD, TX, Mississippi,
and MT all show that bees anticipate and hurry home before thunderstorms -
beginning to arrive about 20 minutes ahead of the rain.

Now, for the reality check.  Marcia at the National Honey Board has been
trying to get honey samples to establish background levels for adulterated
honey, and other studies such as the antibacterial properties of certain
varietal honeys.  for some she need small vials of honey, for others about
a pound.  Her project is posted on the National Honey Board web page. She
will provide containers, guidelines, etc.  I forwarded her request to the
list some weeks ago.

SO FAR, Marcia has only heard from a few beekeepers.  Surely most of us
could spare some honey for these experiments, or let her know that we can
and will get the varietal honey's that she needs in the upcoming season.

So, I'm challenging the "good idea".  Here is an opportunity to do exactly
that - a group research project that should benefit the industry and cost
each of us very little time and honey.

Please contact Marcia at the Honey Board today.

Thanks

Jerry