From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 21:09:03 -0500
Hello All,

> not sure what the benefit will be if beeks keep dumping harsh treatments
into their hives and remain ignorant concerning varroa mite treatments.

The varroa mite has been in the U.S. now right at two decades. In the early
years the above would have been true. In fact at a national meeting L. Cutts
(head of the Florida Apiary dept  for 18 years) said he checked the number
of chemical strips sold against the number of hives and he figured enough
strips were sold to only treat 5% of the U.S. hives so what were the other
beekeepers using? The statement was made years ago.

Over the last few years bee supply houses have had trouble keeping ,Api Life
Var, Apigard and Mite Away two in stock. In our area these are the three
main treatments in use for varroa.

The larger outfits are mostly using liquid formic in methods learned from
the Canadians and many also use oxalic acid on the winter cluster. I only
post the above to clear up the constant jabber by some beekeepers about the
use of illegal harsh chemicals by some *unknown* group of beekeepers.

Both national organizations are pushing for use of formic and oxalic acid
similar to the way its used in Canada. Not some new unknown chemical
treatment.

I do hear rumors of ignorant beekeepers using higher and higher doses of the
old favorites but those telling me never seem to know of the beekeepers and
it seems only a rumor. Certainly not happening in the circles I travel in.

>likewise stressful migratory practices will likely continue $$.

If you do not want China to supply all your food instead of only "little
Fluffy's" pet food ( how is Little Fluffy doing? Maybe he/she did not die
but what are the long term effects of the China dog food?)then you better
hope migratory beekeeping does not end.

Out of State beekeepers supply over half the California almond pollination.
if they stopped coming then Mexican beekeepers would be quick to fill the
void. Several commercial beekeepers are openly firming ties south of the
border.
Others are quietly making trips south. The same people which are bringing
you the mandarin issue will be the people to open the doors to Mexican
hives.
Commercial beekeepers with ties to Mexican beekeeping operations are not
going to speak against the border opening. A few are rubbing their hands
together thinking of all the easy money to be made brokering those hives!

If California beekeepers can not even stop getting pushed back from the
mandarins and lose yards they have used every year for decades how can they
expect to keep Mexican hives out?

As long as U.S. beekeepers can keep the almond growers taken care of then
the border will stay closed. Beekeepers  did a good job this year and
despite the high cost of pollination the growers I have spoke with are
pleased!

The first year beekeepers fail to provide almond pollination the next year
the border will open which is the prediction I make on BEE_L. Each year the
numbers of hives needed for almond pollination goes up and the number of
commercial beekeepers goes in the other direction.

bob

--
believed to be clean.