From:
Dina and Don Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:34:54 -0500
Aaron Morris wrote:
> Well, this is a new one on me.  Although I can get the idea from the name,
> might you be able to offer more of a description of the "Jackson Horizontal
> Hive"?

For others who are curious, the reference I found to the Jackson
Horizontal Hive was at Rupert's Honey:  http://www.rupertshoney.co.za

My impression from their description was that it was essentially a
topbar-style hive that utilizes frames with-or-without foundation.  They
also specify the construction material (corrugated plastic),
ventillation (a series of holes drilled near the top edge of the sides),
and handles.  I don't see anything particularly unique about it,
personally.  The frames are supposed to allow extraction and re-usage of
comb as well as decrease comb attachments to the sides.  In pictures of
their frames without foundation, the comb isn't attached to anything
except the top, thus in that case it's functioning like a standard
top-bar hive.

With regards to managing such a hive, I would refer anyone interested to
Jim Satterfield's site: http://www.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm - the most
detailed site I've found regarding top-bar hives (if anyone knows of a
better, feel free to email me :).  To me, top bar hives seem like an
excellent approach for the hobbyist who isn't necessarily out to
maximize honey production and who wants to learn about bees and working
with them... seems more "up close and personal" to me.  :)

Don Hess