From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:02 -0500
Brian Fredericksen wrote:
>there is ample scientific evidence that AFB, mites and SHB spread
from other hives. the final proof that movements of bees spreads
problems is that we have an African Hive Beetle in North America and
varrora mites that originated in Asia now around the world.

Foul brood was very bad 100 years ago, before bee migration was
common. In the American Bee Journal for June 1914, they report that in
Wisconsin: of  9070 colonies in 285 apiaries, 3117 were diseased in
151 yards. C. C. Miller wrote: In 1913 he had 24 cases of European
foul brood. As there were 83 colonies, that made 29 per cent.

The mites spread all over the USA in a few years; this rapid spread
has never been satisfactorily explained. Probably the vector is
foraging bees, whose range overlaps. How could have that been
prevented? Quarantines didn't stop it. Now we live with it.

Small hive beetle is definitely moved around by migratory beekeepers,
as well as by the sale of packages and nucs. Nosema ceranae, on the
other hand, could have been spread by the distribution of queen bees.
Seriously, does anyone really think that by stopping the movement of
bees, that these problems will go away?

Pollination is essential to food production, and migratory beekeepers
do this job. They not only need to go in and out of the crops but they
need to go south to build their bees back up. Finally, what are our
priorities? For me, I am a beekeeper and I care about all the many
people who keep bees, not just myself. Fortunately for us all, level
heads will prevail.

pb

--
Peter L. Borst