From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:38:19 -0500
>You could make a case (based on dictionary definitions) that
>"sterilization" only occurs if all microbes are destroyed ("partial
>sterilization" is like "partial pregnancy")....but there is nothing about
>"sterilizing" that requires (or implies) the use of heat rather than
>chemical means).

For the sake of discussion:

My crew will be here shortly so little time but if there were a chemical
means to properly *sterilize* medical and dental tools the process would be
in use. I had to wait my last visit while a special tool was in the
sterilizer.

You disinfect counter tops, extractors, lines ect.

I sterilize the  needles for my two livestock inoculation guns by placing
in boiling water for 15 minutes .

In bars you sanitize (term I believe off the top of my head) glasses for
drinks. Three different washes.
and then the glasses drip dry.

However glass jars to be reused for honey in Missouri need to go through a
dishwasher with 170F. water.sanitize not acceptable.A very high temperature
water. Higher than most house water heaters and hot enough to burn hell out
of those not careful.

bob