From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:21:35 -0000
I wonder why James Bach, who I know and hold in great respect as a
beekeeper, never mentions using the gas torch on AFB infected equipment.

The UK practice is to torch the interior surfaces of the boxes paying
particular attention to corners and along the frame runners, castellated
spacers or whatever is used. I know it cannot be guaranteed 100% to destroy
spores, neither can the medications now that the disease has become
resistant. No need to burn the woodwork, a dark coffee colour is sufficient.

I know James has suggested, "destroy combs containing AFB symptoms", but
with frames costing about 50 pence (is that 80 cents) locally you would not
catch me, "scraping infected frames clean" - and what is 'clean'?

As James knows the practice in the UK is that AFB infected colonies MUST be
destroyed, whereas EFB colonies can be treated if the National Bee Unit
decide the level of infection (and other criteria) is low, then with the
permission of the owner they can be medicated (by an authorised officer).
Fortunately, personally I have never experienced either of the diseases but
they would NEVER get my permission to apply medications - DESTROY BEES AND
BURN EQUIPMENT THAT CANNOT BE STERILISED WITH THE GAS TORCH - and in the UK
sit back and await Bee Disease Insurance to give very generous compensation
(that is unless the UK beekeeper has been so stingy not to pay his dues -
for each hive less than the cost of one of those frames). And all of this is
available to the commercial beekeeper - just that the subscriptions are a
little higher.

No us Brits are thinking along the right lines regarding disease control
(off to unfold the Union Jack).

Ken Hoare in Shropshire where that 'wet stuff' has changed to 'white stuff'.