From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:04:50 -0500
Randy's statement about our findings is incorrect, must be a miscommunication.

We saw an increase of about 6 degrees inside a two story hive?on a warm day.? I've made no statements about R values.? I was surprised to see much of any change, but both internal temp probes and an IR imaging camera showed small changes, in the empty hive and in the hive with bees in it.? The distributor thinks we should have seen a greater temperature change -- if the paint had been allowed to dry between coats.?

He's promised more hives for testing, this time properly prepared.? If we get some more hives, we will test.?? And yes, the coats of paint hastily slapped on at Randy's did peel off this fall in MT, as soon as the weather started into cold nights, warm days.

As per claims of having any effect on colony health and CCD, I've made it clear to them?that no such claim can be made.? Since we don't know what causes CCD, no one can claim to have a cure.

So, I've still no idea of the R value of this nanopaint, but it did differ from that of hives with regular paint.? Other than that, I don't see that any claims can be made.? They are talking to an associate of ours who has done extensive testing of temperatures inside hives - want him and his students to more thoroughly test the temperature effects.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt