From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:23:39 -0500
Here's an interesting approach to dealing with municipal restrictions on
beekeeping  - impose state law that removes local government authority to
regulate or prohibit beekeeping, and sets state standards for hives per lot
size and property-line setbacks.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-12-29/news/45677993_1_sprinkler-municipaliti
es-commercial-beekeepers
http://tinyurl.com/k4of6ey

I don't think that there is time to get the bill made into a law before
year-end, and I'm not sure that the NJ beekeepers have considered NY's
experience as a cautionary tale of state regulation of beekeeping.

Here in NY, the only move we had was an end-run around the endless bickering
and politicking of the Farm Bureau, far upstate beekeepers, and several
state legislators, to defund the entire "apiary inspection program", as it
was suffering from terminal hubris and empire-building.  Unlike most states,
the NY Farm Bureau consistently misrepresents itself as representing the
interests of beekeepers, without having any beekeeper constituency to
represent, and the State beekeeping association also consistently
misrepresents itself as representing the state's beekeepers, while having a
smaller membership than even the smaller of local organizations, and never
asking any of the local organizations for input on policy.

But the Governor's staff was happy to further cut the budget by defunding
apiary inspection, as our suggestion was viewed as akin to bicyclists
admitting that they didn't need more bike lane funding.  I much prefer local
control, as a local constituency is easier to mobilize at the first hint of
shenanigans.  One of the NYC local news reporters figured out that In NY
State, the odds of being arrested, put in handcuffs, and convicted of a
crime are greater for elected state legislators than for any other
demographic group.  Even drug addicts in need of a fix had a lower
per-capita arrest and conviction rate.

========
Sent from my not-so smartphone.
My typo rate may vary