From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:06:47 +0000
Hi Simon and Sarah

> if you could you give me a "microscope for dummies" version ...

Squish bee guts in water and look for rice grains - but I'm sure that there are much more experienced folk that can give you a more exact protocol.  Before you get the microscope slide out, you can tell from inspecting the midgut:

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/nosema.html

Anyone with an interest in Nosema would be well advised to look at this 2Mb PDF, particularly the second presentation by Ingemar Fries:

http://www.dipucordoba.es/medioambiente/pdf/XJornadasApiPonencia01.pdf

It seems possible to distinguish N. apis from N. ceranae from the spore size, the presence or absence of empty spores and the exact tissue infected.  The rapid worldwide spread of N. cernae seems amazing if true, I wonder if oriental honey rather than trade in live bees might be responsible?

all the best

Gavin