From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:23:31 -0700
   Roy Nettlebeck and Jerry Bromenshenk have provided valuable input with
respect to caution about relying too soon on a "new" treatment for varroa
mites.

   I admit that I have limited experience, but I have the advantage of
having documented the progression of varroa mites from early infestation
for a number of purposely untreated colonies.

   Beekeepers deal here with quite a different situation than any previous
plague.  The more rapid the brood production in the colony, the faster the
varroa mite production.  One can believe that a treatment is working under
those circumstances, when in reality a complete collapse may be just over
the horizon.  The latent period from first infestation to noticeable effect
can be more than two years, in my experience.  The fact that death from
varroa leaves a colony full of honey in most cases attests to the fact that
collapse is rapid, indeed.

   Sure, you may do some controlled experiments with a few colonies not
intended for honey production (as outlined by Jerry in a much earlier
posting), but I suggest you keep most of your colonies well protected by
approved methods.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                         (805) 893-2838 (UCSB office)
Ecol., Evol., & Marine Biology           (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara           (805) 963-8508 (home office & FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*  "THIS LIFE may be the only chance you'll ever get to show what     *
*   you can do."                                      Pot-Shots #6923 *
*          Copyright, Ashleigh Brilliant --- used with permission     *