From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:17:09 -0500
Bob, in Florida, said "I was thinking of building a ventilated
cover for the hives to help dry the nectar."

Why not just use shingles and your normal inner cover.  Buy a bundle of wood
shingles (they may be called "shakes") at your local lumber yard.  They are
likely to cost $10 for 25 or more.  Split them lengthwise to about 1" wide.
Tack two, with the thick edge toward the outside, to the same side of your
inner cover.  Put on the hive with the wedges down.  You now have a 1/2"
ventilation slot.  I keep these on all year, and they are great!

Bob also asked "Additionally, would we use Apistan strips any differently
with the use screened bottom boards?"

Screens as bottom boards seem to delay the build up of Varroa.  Check
counts, using sticky boards, ether rolls, etc.  The goal is to only treat
once a year, instead of twice (or more).  For more information check with
your county extension office, as you have one of the best state
organizations in the country!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com