From:
John Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:55:17 +0300
CCD and Migratory Beekeeping in Greece

Most of the movement of colonies in Greece tends to be to wildflowers
such as oxalis, spurge, thyme, sage, heather and chestnut - but the
major operations are concentrated in the mountains where pine and fir
trees are dominant and where there is no ground flora - 60% of Greek
honey comes from honeydew alone. Beekeepers may take their colonies to
citrus growing regions where spraying is more likely to occur, maybe
cotton too, but the amount of the latter has diminished enormously. As
regards  pumpkins, melons, water melons and courgettes, these are
generally grown by smallholders without large acreages of land and
there is little likelihood of such growers offering pollination
contracts to make the migration worthwhile.

I lost 35 out of 40 colonies with CCD symptoms 4 years ago and I live
in an area where only olives are cultivated. There are no flowers
beneath the olive trees when any spraying is done, but more and more
groves are being turned over to organic methods.  If my colonies had
any residues from pesticides, then the pesticides must have persisted
in the soil (from later summer spraying of olives) and been absorbed by
the flowers the bees foraged on the following spring.

John Phipps

and the first record of imidacloprid (neonicotonoid) residues in Greek
>> honey bee tissues.
>
> Yes!
>
> The question is are the residues showing up because of long term
> expose?
>
> The bees in the U.S. are sick and researchers have been at a lost to
> explain
> why. Honey yields are down in most areas while honey plants are
> numerous.
> Winter loss is rising.
>
> Neonicotinoid residues (first reported) is a significant finding. In my
> opinion if looked for in the U.S. those same residues would be found
> in some
> migratory operations.
>
> Why migratory?
> Not rocket science as these are the hives going into the areas of
> neonicotinoid use.
>
> Plenty of smoke around the issue and now we find a bit of fire!
>
> bob

> LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
>
> Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
> http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

John Phipps
Editor: The Beekeepers Quarterly
Neochori, Agios Nikolaos,