From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:08:45 EST
In a message dated 1/21/00 5:56:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Lori Quillen asks about the history of bee protection.>>

Lori brings up a good point. I see a danger here that pesticide applicators
or others whose work may negatively affect wildlife should not be allowed to
misconstrue  laws in a such a way that care is only necessary if an animal
explicitly mentioned in the law is present.
However, in relation to the wording mentioned here, I suspect managed bees
were only originally intended to be covered because beekeepers suffer
economic loss, get really angry, file lawsuits and call politicians. Now tht
native pollinators have been recognized, they will be better protected. I'm
glad to read from JCBach that the EPA has said it will read that language
broadly to include native pollinators as well.