Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:18:44 PST
Hello Gang,

<< What makes american beekeepers so happy about paying for
those drugs they really don't need?>>

I believe this has to do with momentum, we do it this way because
we have always done it this way.

It reminds me of the old story about a prospector who loaded up
his mule with supplies for his trip back to camp.
He would place a hundred pounds of supplied on one side of the
mule and a hundred pounds of rocks on the other side to balance
the load.

When asked why he did not divide the load evenly on each side
and not use the rocks, he replied, "My daddy did it this way
and if it was good enough for him it is good enough for me."

<<Or is everyone that use them certain about
the need?>>

I'll bet that the same folks who feed antibiotics to their bees
when the bees are not sick, do not take antibiotics when they,
themselves are not sick!

<<Can it be a difference in attitude?>>

An attitude is a terrible thing to waste, is it not?

George Imirie, and Richard Taylor, have written extensively
about the philosophy of life as well as in beekeeping.
You can not separate them very effectively, one certainly
reflects on the other. We all love these wonderful little bugs or
we would not keep them, but how to do it well can be expressed very
differently by well meaning individuals.

Attitudes towards antibiotics has more to do with their use
than cold hard facts. We can not always isolate facts from
attitude during these discussions, and I think it counter
productive to try.

The moderators do a good job here keeping the momentum
of the discussion going like a car moving along an icy
road and bouncing along between two stone walls.
Some stray off the road for a while but bounce back to
continue on. I enjoy reading between the lines , it helps
to get a feeling of the personalities involved.
I enjoy getting to know you as well as learning from you.

Ernie Gregoire   "Beekeeper," def.= partially brave,
                                    partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, NH. USA

12/11/99 09:18:44