From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:23:37 -0000
After I wrote:  "I will still hold to my belief that u have to be able to
create free space in every brood box for handling combs without jarring bees
if u want to minimise disturbance when operating a hive, and 9 frames
reduces the weight to be lifted, "   "Murray McGregor" said: "I don't
understand why someone would be jarring the bees, as that would require some
rough handling."

The problem I am refering to is how to get the first frame out of a full
box - the only direction u can lift is up, which needs using the hive tool
to break the propolis. As I work with only one tool, only one end is lifted
upwards at a time, which of course swings the side of the frame against the
hive wall, crushing any bees there. When I free the other end, bees get
crushed there too.  Then I can lift both ends together to lift the frame
right out, but as the space is only the width of the frame, the comb gets
rubbed against the next one, squashing or at least rolling more bees.  So
the end result is when the frame comes clear out of the hive, so do lots of
angry bees.  I used 'jarring' as a shorthand.

Using 2 dummies means that the dummy next to the hive wall is pretty clear
of bees, so can be hauled out without trouble.  Then the next dummy can be
levered SIDEWAYS  to break the propolis, with no risk to bees at all.  Then
it can be twisted slightly before being lifted, reducing risk of rubbing
bees against the hive side. Then the first comb can be freed and twisted
even more in the free space now created - problem over.

The second problem was always placing the upper box back gently enough that
no bees got squashed.  I cannot handle a box delicately when it is 18 inches
square and weighs 40 lbs.  The same box,  reduced to 30 lbs and with the
weight nearer one side, can be put back with less of a thump.

Now, possibly I have been getting that first frame out the wrong way all
this time.  Any suggestions?

Robin Dartington