From:
awcannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:18:43 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Lucinda Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 2:44 AM
Subject: Chalkbrood and Big Business vs making a living

> I have a 'split' from a colony that had varroa. The parent colony has
> recovered well but the offspring is battling along with the worst
chalkbrood
> I've seen. I estimate 40% of the brood is mummified. I've raised another
nuc
> I'm waiting for the virgin to mate and lay and wish to unite the two.
Should
> I destroy the chalkbrood infested comb?
>
> I'll gladly wrangle the point [log in to unmask] ,but
> feel it may be best to stick to Bees on this list...'cos it's the best one
> I've found to date!
>
> John Sewell.

beaaring in mind that chalkbrood is endemic in the honey bee, stress seems
to trigger it off. try spraying the combs with a sugar solution the colony
may then in cleaning it up remove the chalkbrood mummies. if this does not
work then i would advise getting rid of the combs, after all you would not
leave efb about hoping the bees would clean it up! you are not the only one
with chalkbrood troubles, we have the same trouble at our branch apiary in
north devon. my hives however are,with the exception of a feww mummies, are
clear, but then i dont keep messing my hives about. once checked they are
then given plenty of time to themselves.

Take care and stay lucky
Albert .W.Cannon