Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:53:29 EDT
>Evaporation depends on temperature. The weak colonies are  cooler and
evaporation is slower.

>However, I am
intentionally placing the Apiguard gel  within the actual brood nest
cluster,
in which the temperature is relatively  constant.

Has anyone considered how this affects the pheromones in the colony?   Does
the Apiguard interfere with the pheromones?  Do the bees start doing  weird
stuff, stuff that is different and may interfere with their  survival?
Also, how does ventilation affect all this?  At what  Apiguard concentration
level will pheromones be interfered with?  Or is  this like frequencies, where
Apiguard may be at one "frequency" and various  Pheromones will be at other
"frequencies"?

Dave M.

In a message dated 10/9/2009 7:45:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Evaporation depends on temperature. The weak colonies are  cooler and
evaporation is slower.

Interesting point, Ari, but not  sure that it applies in this case.

I can understand that this would be  the case in which thymol crystals were
placed under the cover, where the  temp varies greatly.  However, I am
intentionally placing the Apiguard  gel within the actual broodnest cluster,
in which the temperature is  relatively constant.

The second thing to consider, is the the gel is  designed to be physically
carried by the bees, along with the  thymol-saturated shredded paper card,
out of the hive.  We find the  aromatic shredded paper within a day or so
scattered about.  In the  process, the bees ostensibly move the thymol, and
its fumes, throughout the  colony.

A larger dose of gel in the center of the broodnest of a small  colony might
simply overwhelm the bees' ability to circulate the fumes, and  result in
excessive brood kill.

I'm going to have to observe more  closely to see if your suggestion is
valid.

Thanks,
Randy  Oliver

LISTSERV(R) list management software.   For more information, go  to:

Access BEE-L directly  at: