From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:20:43 -0400
Greetings
I want to thank the moderators for allowing this discussion to
continue. In the age of information it is very difficult to stay on
top of a field or even a specialty. In fact, a recent radio story I
heard said that the most a *medical doctor* can hope for is *not* to
be fully prepared for each patient that comes through the door, but
rather, to be able to get the needed information in a timely way.

I have been completely surprised at how far along the effort to
create transgenic bees has already progressed. I think it is wise to
take the position that we mostly *do not know* what is actually going
on in these various labs, since much of it is not published widely,
if at all.

Finally, a comment was made that the Bee-List should be *about bees*.
Beekeeping and apiculture is a far-ranging field which encompasses
understanding of climate, weather, both wild and agricultural flora,
ecology, agricultural practices, legal issues -- the list could go on.

But the issue of transgenic bees, while perhaps already far out of
our hands, affects us all. Personally, I have tried to avoid
advocating a particular ideology, other than an attitude of
inquisitiveness.

Peter Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA