From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:23:17 -0400
Re. continuous mite application during fall invasion;

For those, like me, not averse to Apivar, which is in fact registered. I typically apply Apivar once a year in early spring at first inspection. Usually in early March and out late April before supering to get a good clean start. That takes me through the honey season with no treatments. The colonies are huge and heavy and I'm busy. Once the honey is off early Sept I start OAV for a low mite environment for winter bee production. This year I'm going to experiment with moving the spring application up, in late Sept. out early Nov. once everything is settled down for the winter and trust that nothing will be needed in spring. My theory is that if they are nearly mite free in Nov. they will be the same in April. Going to try a dozen with only 1 strip and the rest the typical 2. I will do vigorous mite counts in April to see how it works.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA