From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:33:22 +1300
> The most obvious is that we are dealing with an insect on one hand and a
> plant on the other. Bees emit CO2 and sugar cane takes it in. Lots of it.

Carbon footprint relates to fossil fuel usage or the permanent
release of CO2 from Natrual systems (e.g. burning the Amazon forest)
or the permanent sequestering of CO2 (eg plant forests that will
never be removed).

So the issue is tracking *fossil fuel* usage in these industries.

Beekeeping is mostly transport fuels and usage of sugar with its
inbuilt carbon footprint.

Sugar is cultivation fuels and fertilizer.  Becasuse it is intensive
agriculture, urea is used extensively.  Natural gas is the prime
fossil fuel used to "fix" nitrogen.  Rotating legumes is more
environmentally friendly but lowers crop output
.
Sugar cane might take up lots of carbon, but that is all release back
by the time the cane is burnt (for fuel) and the sugar is consumed.
There is no permanent uptake of carbon in this system.

Regards,
Airborne Honey Ltd., Pennington St, PO Box 28, Leeston,
New Zealand Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569
http://www.airborne.co.nz  [log in to unmask]