From:
Eileen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1993 13:22:00 EDT
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
  Here is a little more information about the observation hive
described by Ed Bachmann earlier.  The queen cage with queen
was placed about an inch from the entrance of the hive as per
instruction from bee company.  The local temperature was been
relatively cool and cloudy, low 60s.  The obs hive has only
one frame.  The bees which are in the hive are gathered around the
queen cage, with some moving about and some stationary.  I don't
know what sort of interaction they might be having with the queen.
Some of the workers have begun to draw out the wax foundation into
comb.  We have placed cardboard against the sides of the shipping
cage to darken it and hopefully cause the bees to move into the
lighted hive.  I wonder whether the cardboard which would also
cause the shipping cage to be  warmer should be removed to allow
it to cool down.  It would then probably be cooler than the hive
and maybe the bees would move on over.
  Anyway, I hope that this additional information may spark some
more good ideas from you BEE experts.  Needless to say, Ed and I
are both just beginners, but are fascinated by the bees.
Thanks again,
Eileen Gregory
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill