From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:11:02 -0400
This message was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L list at
LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.   It was edited to remove quotes of previously posted material.

Formic acid would react more with wood (not very much) than with plastic
(probably not any measurable reaction).  Formic acid chemically is a
weak acid, making its reactivity lower than, for example, battery acid.
One component of wood is cellulose, and that has a type of chemical bond
that will be attacked by acids.  I have many holes in my jeans (cotton
is also cellulose) from other acids but didn't notice any holes when
I've splashed formic.  The ester linkage of waxes will also be attacked
by acids but since formic is a weak acid the attack will be small at
best and I would expect the amount to be not noticeable.

Sincerely,

Dr. Thomas J. Wiese
Professor of Chemistry
600 Park St.