From:
"Jeffrey R. Hills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 20:59:48 -0400
Following up on earlier posts on the inadequacy of a Zareba 6-Volt 1/2 Joule
3_Mile Electric Fence Controller on 240 feet of wire:

After exchanging the first one ($99.95 at Tractor Supply)for a replacement
(thinking the first one was defective as defined by a five-light tester) and
finding the replacement equally deficient, I today exchanged the replacement
for a Zareba B5 Battery Powered 5-Mile Controller at $69.95 with money left
over for a twelve volt battery.  This thing lights up all five lights
strongly on the tester and reassures me that fence-ground configuration was
never to blame for the inadequate voltage on the fence.

Conclusion so far: the Zareba 5-Mile B5 gets the job done - don't buy the
1/2 Joule Solar model.

My thanks also to those of you who gave advice along the way.

Jeff Hills
Dorset, VT