From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:45:59 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Bloom

Ann Dougherty wrote (10/8/96):
<I'm trying to figure out how to prevent bloom from occuring on my beeswax
candles. I know I can remove it from the wax when it appears with a blow
dryer and cloth. But i would rather prevent it from occuring.  Is it an
envirnmental problem or is it in all wax naturally?>

As far as I know, bloom is an intrinsic property of beeswax.  From an esthetic
point of view it looks awful, changing a bright pretty object into something
that looks like it was brought up from an ancient shipwreck.  I get a spray
designed for candles and other craft objects and spray my candles about a day
after I dip or pour them.  It keeps bloom away because it protects the beeswax
from the air.  Purists probably will object, because the candle is now no
longer pure beeswax, but I also put in stearic acid to retard excessive wax
melting, as well as colors and scents.

Ted Fischer