From:
Michael Lescord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 07:03:46 -0400
I'm a physician and gout sufferer and am aware of no literature that
support usage of bee venom therapy in treating acute or chronic gouty
arthritis.

Interestingly, I just entered a period of heel soreness, a prodrome to an
acute attack.  I was stung by a package bee I was installing on the front
portion of that left ankle, and I can inform you it had no effect on my
gouty prodrome.  I do understand venom therapy is advocated by some on a
daily basis for a more extended period, but I think I will pass on that.

Sorry to add a vote of no confidence.  I would like nothing more to be able
to offer therapy to my patients with my bees.  Medical ethics exclude
recommending venom therapy for gout or any other condition at this time.
Any physician who recommends venom therapy is not practicing evidence based
medicine.

As an aside, the medical literature touts raw honey as a possible
precipitant of an acute gouty attack.  I ignore them and put up with a sore
heel.

Regards,

Michael Lescord, MD