From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:30:35 -0600
> Not much opportunity for bees to hop off and take up residence in Alabama.

I know of two semi loads which were sent from Alabama in 2006 and were
mostly dead on arrival in California. In 2006 many hives crashed with CCD
symptoms but Jerry B. had not even named CCD yet.
In fact I would say CCD symptoms were around even a year or two earlier in
Florida.

The loads were returned and the beekeeper was never paid for the bees
pollination (although trucking was paid).

I was brought in to try and find out what happened. The beekeeper broker
claimed the bees crashed after arrival with  what we now would call CCd type
symptoms. The beekeeper claimed the bees sent were in great shape.

i was not able to get the Alabama beekeeper paid for his bees.

If you ever have a dispute over condition of your bees on arrival in
California you need to fly out right away. The Alabama beekeeper did not and
only complained to me ( after reading one of my almond pollination articles)
and of course the California beekeeper broker.
Me after the hives returned. The California beekeeper broker did agree to
pay the
round trip trucking but the best he would do.

I have no desire to pursue the issue any further as maybe permission was not
received before shipment .

Maybe the Alabama beekeeper used a page out of my book:

"Its easier to get forgiveness than it is many times to get permission"

bob