From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 19:08:24 -0500
<In Gotland, an island of the Baltic Sea, Fries et al. (2006) described the
survival of 150 honey bee colonies that were subject to the Bond test. Five
of the colonies survived over 5 years.

Perhaps commercial beekeepers should also weigh the *cost* before using the
bond method. I personally will wait and buy the varroa tolerant queens but
the "Bond' method has been recommended for all beekeepers. Over and over .

Cost:
At today's (2010) prices for a package *delivered* to the Midwest of $85
U.S. the investment in 150 hives would be around $12,750.  So the beekeeper
would have an investment of approx $2550 U.S. in his future survivor
breeding stock.

Sadly when the USDA Baton Rouge Bee lab used the "Bond" method the F3
offspring rarely had the varroa tolerance of the source. untold hives were
left to die to get enough queens for Dr. Harbo to "breed from survivors".

The reason the lab looked to science for the reason for varroa tolerance
rather than the "bond" method.

Of course one can add some Russian queens to the "bond" method and then
claim the "bond" method produced the result. Which is EXACTLY what many
singing the praises of the "bond" method have done.

Back when varroa first arrived around  999 out of a 1000 hives crashed using
the "Bond' method many times. .

As always:
If you are new to beekeeping then you should weigh the evidence before
taking a position. The rest of us have tried and observed with interest the
results of the "live and Let die method"

I think its a great method for my competition and  those which can afford
the losses.

My personal recommendation would be to buy some Russian queens ( and of
course keep buying queens each year from the Russian breeders to keep the
stock pure) which would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the "bond" method.

I had a close friend which tried the bond method in the early 90's. After he
had lost over 2000 colonies he bought some apistan.

bob