Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:07:22 -0400
>>I have been involved in studies of screened bottom boards for 4
> years now, on hundreds of hives. We have never found them to have any
> benefit (no harm either), but we continue to study them because
> beekeepers are interested in them. If we find a benefit then I will
> be sure to report it right here.

I made my screened bottom boards because I had heard that they prevent
fallen mites from re-attaching to bees.  Since then I have learned that the
verdict on this was still out.  My 3 hives are some 12 ft up in the air in
my garage attic and, since I'd removed the attic floor boards underneath
them, I can look up and see a lot of what is going on in the hives through
the screens.  The screened bottoms are great for casual inspections in this
scenario.  The other benefits are improved ventilation on hot summer days
and not having to clean the bottom boards as fine hive debris falls through
the screens.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY

Introducing NetZero Long Distance