Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:01:27 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
> You mentioned research by Page, but I don't think
> scientific research will support many of your conclusions.
> For example, many current researchers have shown that the
> bee populations of various regions do not suffer from loss
> of diversity due to inbreeding. 

Hello Peter,

You are probably right.  But in my area from 1996 till 2003,  for some reason, lagged behind other areas in feral recovery, it was a feral dead zone.  Traps set out for beelining, produced no results.  I used to extract with the doors wide open because no robbers would come by.  My colonies totaled 10 or so at that time, which I kept several miles from here.  During that time, I cant imagine enough drones could have been capable of assembling in one particular area form a stable DCA (estimated to be at minimum around 1000 drones needed).  And colony representation in a DCA which may have formed, would have been far fewer than the 240 colonies, as determined by statistical analysis to be represented in an average DCA (I doubt there were 20 colonies within DCA distance).  With most queen matings found to be vicinity mating, occurring within 1.5 miles from the hive, and the ’nearer the better’ findings concerning Drones choice of a DCA, this IMO,
 doesn’t bode well for honeybee dead zone areas.  

Would you expect to see such poor viability patterns in an area so void of colonies?  Would you expect to see at least some inbreeding in such an environment?

This is the study I was referring to by Tarpy and Page.
Its really great stuff.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/mehlyml4b8yrchcr/fulltext.pdf

Repeat quote from Peter:
…I don't think
> scientific research will support many of your conclusions.

I realize I go overboard a bit on the theories, and I like to float them on the lists to hear responses.  But I believe, and I teach new bees this all the time.  That when a bee problem is observed, you need to investigate and form a theory as to what factors brought about the cause of the symptoms.  This theory making is necessary in order to move forward with a remedy, or plan of action.  Interestingly enough, the theory, need not always be correct in order to form course of action that would still serve to correct the situation and advance ones goals.  I can site several historical accounts of bee theories that were in error, and yet, although wrong, still advanced the goal, and did not negatively do harm to the effectiveness of the planed course of action.  

Best Wishes,
Joe

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2