From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:57:29 -0400
What is the underlying concept of the slatted rack and how does it work?

As I recall, C. C. Miller came up with this idea while trying to figure out
how to improve ventilation in his hives. He raised comb honey using one
brood box, as I recall. I think a lot of people in those days would raise
the hive up on little blocks to increase the air flow into the bottom of the
hive, but as you can imagine, the bees would build a lot of comb in that
space (what a mess). So, Miller hit upon the idea of a very deep bottom
board with this rack in there to prevent the build up of burr comb in the
space below the frames.

As many people know, I am not a big booster of screened bottoms, but in my
opinion, this is one thing they are good for: increasing the ventilation at
the bottom of the hive. I would choose one of these over the slatted rack
bottom. I think it is more effective and cheaper and easier to build.

pb