From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:31:15 +0100
> An attitude is a terrible thing to waste, is it not?

It always takes some time to change it. Changing means we first have to admit to
ourselves we been wrong and that is hard for most of us.

> Attitudes towards antibiotics has more to do with their use
> than cold hard facts. We can not always isolate facts from
> attitude during these discussions, and I think it counter
> productive to try.

Now this is difficult. If we challenge someone's attitude, this person will
automatically go into defence position and sometimes not be reachable with logic
reasoning. Basically I agree with you, but we have to understand when a
discussion is based on attitudes instead of facts.

> The moderators do a good job here keeping the momentum
> of the discussion going like a car moving along an icy
> road and bouncing along between two stone walls.

This list has done a tremendous jump upwards in quality due to the moderators.
They deserve all respect for what they are doing.

I am well aware of the difficulties involved in a change towards less chemicals
in beekeeping in your part of the world. It will not be easy when so deep into
the "chemical-merry-go-around" as Aaron called it. And the longer you wait, the
harder it gets. Resistant, "hygienic" or whatever we call it, bees will not
evolve in a year or two. It will take a number of years and hard work to get
there. And it will have to include everyone. The general knowledge among
beekeepers has to be better.

When I read on this list; "I hope queen breeders will do testing for hygienic
bees", I see that "leave_it_to_someone_else" philosophy again.
When I read " I will start testing for hygienic bees myself" instead the journey
towards less chemicals has started. Even a long journey starts with a first
step......

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden