From:
Tim Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:17:44 EDT
I love this list!!!  Once again it goes to show that beekeepers are alert and
have hard core opinions on most areas of this science/art/hobby/livelyhood.
I am in the process of trying several different foundation types this spring,
mostly out of curiousity, but also because they were given to me and free is
much cheeper.   I have used duragilt in the past with mixed results, mostly
due to my own stupidities.  Hard to blame an insect for my not doing what I
should have done.  The so called natural wax way (wires I have never seen in
natural combs but thats another discussion), has yielded many nice sets of
combs to work with, but I have several frames along the way that are weird
collections of multiple layers of twisted comb.  I suspect when the plasticel
is completed and the others I am playing with I will have some good and bad
as well.

The plastic comb seems to me if nothing else have one serious advantage,
especially to someone whos time means money like the commercial fellows.
This stuff went in fast, stayed straight, didnt need wires or pins, and was
very uniform.  The wired foundation was a lot slower as it always is, but man
does it smell good.   In the end I suspect all types will remain available,
all be used and in fact be debated about right here on Bee-L next year about
this time.

Ladies and Gentleman, thank you for such a wonderful forum to learn from.

Tim Morris
Pulaski, Tennessee