From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:12:53 +0000
In message <B1739ZWRLI50WD*/R=GALAXY/R=A1/U=KCLARK/@MHS>, "Kerry Clark
of AGF 784-2225 fax (604) 784 2299" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>The key difference seems to be that 50 to 60 %
>   of these varroa in worker brood are infertile.
If I remember rightly this infertility is one of the features that
allows A.cerana and the mite to co-exist.

>   By the way, although many of these discussions use "tolerance" and
>   "resistance" (to varroa) interchangeabley, it seems to me that
>   tolerance implies no effect on the (former) harmful agent, while
>   resistance would include (but maybe not be limited to) mechanisms
>   that inhibit the source of the harm.
>   Is this distinction consistent with usage of these terms in
>   parasitology?
>
>   If so, it seems to me we should be referring to varroa being
>   selected showing "tolerance" to fluvalinate, rather than
>   "resistance"

Yes, resistance and tolerance are being used very loosly. Correct me if
I wrong but resistance is an attribute of a population while tolerance
is an attribute of an individual. Tolerant mites may or may not breed to
produce a resistant population.

--
Dave Black
<http://www.guildford.ac.uk/beehive>,