Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:06:24 -0400
We have already been warned against "modern beekeeping" :

> In 1923 Rudolf Steiner predicted the dire state of today's honeybee. He stated that, within fifty to eighty years, we would see the consequences of mechanizing the forces that had previously operated organically in the beehive. Such practices include breeding queen bees artificially.

The ideas of Steiner have been expanded to "Biodynamic Beekeeping" which parallels the ideas of Dr Seeley so much that one wonders if he has been studying them:

Differences between conventional beekeeping practices and biodynamic beekeeping.

Biodynamic bee keepers believe natural swarming is the best way to create a new colony. They don’t create artificial swarms, letting the bees only swarm when they choose too. They don’t practice artificial insemination of queen bees or any other practices where the beekeeper interferes with the workings of the bee colony.

Allow bees build their comb instead of being giving them ‘frames’ with wax foundations. Each colony builds their honeycomb in a unique was so biodynamic beekeepers don’t like to cause the bees to adapt its comb making to an unnatural shape that’s not their own.

Clipping of queen’s wings is prohibited.
Regular and systematic queen replacement is prohibited.
Pollen substitutes are prohibited
Beehives must be made of all natural materials, such as wood, straw, or clay.
Artificial insemination is not used. Instead queens are allowed to fly free to mate.
Grafting of larvae to produce queens is prohibited.
No pesticides or antibiotics are allowed, although the use of natural organic acids such as formic and oxalic acid may be used for mite control.

The relationship between the bees and the beekeeper is vital. Unless a biodynamic beekeeper is overly sensitive to stings most will avoid wearing gloves, preferring skin contact which allows the keeper to be even more gentle with the colony. Bees don’t want to sting as this causes them to die so if a colony is stinging a biodynamic bee keepers they will have to reflect on why and change their actions.

SOURCE: https://weledaglobalgarden.com/todays-bee-crisis-was-predicted-back-in-1923/

PLB