From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:43:04 +0100
Bob commented:

> Besides varroa issues collapsing in late summer and early fall can also be
> nosema ceranae.  Has the U.K. checked for nosema ceranae?

Yes, it is present in parts of the UK, but does seem to have caused major
problems so far.  There was a major outbreak of CBPV in one area that took
out several hundred colonies.

> 50% losses indicates to me another issue and I would take
> samples and look deeper.

The 50% cover losses at the end of the poor summer and through the winter.
The late summe losses here were due to failing queens that had simply not
mated, or mated badly.  We normally run on single brood, but we had to unite
so many that I ended up with most colonies on doubles and some on triples.

> I have seen patties which bring hives to life and many
> recipes are around but basically alike.

 Few beekeepers in the UK use patties -  usually it is simply not necessary.

> Sorry for the losses in the U.K.. All areas of the world are reporting bee
> loses including China.

This is what I find to be most worrying.  We expect local problems from time
to time, but we now seem to have moved from a local into a global problem -
or do we just have better communication these days?
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/