Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2019 22:33:54 -0400
> As I understand your references what you actually quoted was a recent book

No, the two paragraphs about Varroa came from:

Dietemann V, Beaurepaire A, Page P, Yañez O, Buawangpong N, Chantawannakul P, Neumann P (2019). Population genetics of ectoparasitic mites Varroa spp. in Eastern and Western honey bees. Parasitology 1–11.

At one time we referred to varroa as Varroa jacobsonii. In 2000, Anderson and Trueman determined that "Varroa jacobsoni is more than one species." The recent work calls this into question, but not solely on the basis of the fact that they are able to interbreed. I was just passing along the information thinking that some might find it of interest. Whether or not they are one or two species doesn't matter to me at all.

PLB