From:
James Ralston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 18:54:22 -0400
Concerning www.localhoneyforsale.com...

There's ample evidence that this site is being operated by people who
aren't very sophisticated when it comes to Internet commerce.  Namely:

    1.  They either harvested (or purchased) email addresses of
        beekeepers.

    2.  They sent unsolicited commercial email.

    3.  Their web site was built from "build your own web site"
        templates of some fashion.  (Note the [log in to unmask]
        mailto: addresses on their privacy policy page.)

    4.  Their web site lists almost no contact information for the
        company--no USPS address, no telephone number; just a single
        email address.

I also find it troubling that their privacy policy states that members
are encouraged to "provide demographic information (such as income
level and gender), and unique identifiers (such as social security
number [sic])".  One should NEVER give one's SSN to any organization
that isn't required by law to know it (such as your employer, or the
IRS).  The above statement appearing in their privacy policy means
that no lawyer reviewed their policy.

That being said, I can't really see any convincing evidence that this
web site is operating maliciously.  If their ultimate goal is to
simply harvest email addresses to resell them, then I heavily doubt
the number of email addresses they'd solicit from beekeepers would be
enough to get them any real money whatsoever.  If their goal is to
trick people into giving them their SSNs, then they'd have much more
success in targeting a larger demographic than beekeepers.  I did not
receive the email, but just because it was sent by "Terence Golla"
doesn't mean that Terence Golla is himself a beekeeper.

As the saying goes, never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
This company might be legitimate.  Then again, it might not, so
exercising caution is a good idea.  (Exercising caution is almost
always a good idea, actually.)

I don't sell honey, so I have no use for their services, but I'd
encourage others who might sell honey and might be interested in their
services to first write to [log in to unmask] and ask them
some very direct questions.  (Such as: Who are you, how did you get my
address, why did you send me unsolicited commercial email (spam), why
does your web site have no USPS address or telephone numbers listed,
and, in general, why should we believe that your business is
legitimate?)  If your questions aren't answered adequately and
promptly, with no waffling, I'd avoid them.

Regards,
James

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Amateur beekeeper, but an IT/computer professional