From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:49:31 -0400
Said water pollution has been well documented even as early as in the
1960’s, but where is this ground water, a chemcial time-bomb sitting in
the aquafer, such as Waldemar describes, gonna go?

“Although the sudden death of thousands of fish or crustaceans in some
stream or pond as the direct and visible effect of insect control is
dramatic and alarming, these unseen and as yet largely unknown and
unmeasureable effects of pesticides reaching estuaries indrectly in
streams and rivers may in the end be more disastrous. . . . We know that
pesticies contained in runoff from farms and forests are now being carried
to the sea in the waters of many and perhaps all of the major rivers.  But
we do not know the identity of all the chemicals or their total quantity,
and we do not presently have any dependable tests for identifying them in
highly diluted state once they have reached the sea.  Although we know
that the chemicals have almost certanly undergone change during the long
period of transit, we do not know whether the altered chemical is more
toxic than the original or less”  (Silent Spring;151-2).

“The whole process of sprayinhg seems caught up in an endless spiral.
Since DDT [We have sprayed stuff far far far worse than DDT now] was
released for civilian use, a process of escalation has been going on in
which ever more toxic materials must be found.  This has happened because
insects, in a triumphant vindication of Darwin’s principle of the
survivial of the fisttest, have evloved super races imune to the
particular insecticide used, hence, a deadlier one has always to be
developed—and then a deadlier one tha that . . . because destructive
insects often under go a ‘flareback,’ or resurgence, after spraying, in
numbers greater than before.  Thus chemcial war is never won, and all life
is caught in its violent crossfire.”  (Silent Spring; 8)

“Violent Crossfire,” such as being unable to concevie a young; although
our intended target was a “bug,” the intricate web of life must also deal
with the consequences of a few industrial farmers who too must bring bread
to the table no matter what. The bullet, alas, boomeranged and backfired
at us, the humans, the control freak.  Let's not talk about the incrased
risks of cancer here.

The Dutch Elm disease was the direct result of planting one species
(monocrop) all over the US, on the streets, on the campuses, and in the
backyard, offering an endless buffet for the fungus to explode, riding on
the back of elm bark beetles—all, thanks to us.